Thursday, January 6, 2011

Top Picks of the Day - January 6th, 2011

Hey everyone. I was busy straight through the day yesterday with work and then down to the Panthers vs. Trashers hockey game with some friends from work, so I apologize for the absence of a Top Picks post. I know you are very upset. I am working on a new format that will include and not include certain things. Let me know what you think over the next week or two. Here we go...

Song: K'naan - The Dusty Foot On The Road - In The Beginning. I can not get enough of this guy. I find irony in the fact that he hails from one of the most dangerous places on the Earth but yet does not push cliche messages of violence or gangsterism - cornerstones of hip-hop culture in the US.  I managed to pull a recording of the NPR recording of his SXSW Festival performance. It is impressive. Its refreshing to hear such talent not wasted on the lack of an artistic message. The beats translate well into a live electric band setting for performances. I have mentioned him before on this blog but I am going to go ahead and say that K'naan is neither a fad nor a one hit wonder. The world needs to hear this.  

News: Gas first, iEverything second. Apple takeover - it has begun!

Video: Skiing, cool. Skiing at 40 mph, crazy. Skiing at 40 mph through Manhattan, Top Pick worthy.

No comments: